leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Headrow nos. 17 - 21, (Lowerhead Row)


Headrow nos. 17 - 21, (Lowerhead Row)
Description:
1891 View of what was then called Lowerhead Row, July 1891. In the centre of the photo (right side) a sign can be seen for oysters, this was outside number 17 Richardson and Cousins Oyster Rooms. To the right is the entrance to the Marquis of Granby Yard. Next 18 was the premises of Herman Wolfe, a wardrobe dealer (who would be selling clothes). Between 18 and 19 is an alley leading into the Unicorn Yard. The Unicorn public house is number 19, licensee Rueben Schofield. The next shop is that of James Brown, practical watchmaker at 20, last on the right and partly in view, 21 was another clothing shop, business of June Towler. Four of these properties are marked with Templar Crosses. There is one to the left of the Oyster sign on 17, above the window of 18 is a notice with a cross directly above it. Between the two upper windows of the Unicorn Inn another can be seen and to the right of the upper window of number 20 a cross is clearly visible. Crosses are displayed on property which was once part of the Manor of Whitkirk. The order of the Knights Templar was founded in 1118/9, during the Crusades, their primary role was to protect pilgrims on the road to Jerusalem. The Church and Manor of Whitkirk was given o the Templars who established a preceptory and founded the Temple Newsam estate in 1155 it included property in the town of Leeds. There were 6 crosses on the Lowerhead Row and Lady Lane, 10 on Templar Strreet, in all 19 crosses were displayed in the city.

User Comments:

Name:
Graham A. Schofield

Comment:
Are any of The Knights Templar Crosses mentioned in the description still extant and in situ? If so, where can they be seen? Have any at all survived?

Date:
23-Mar-2012

Email:
GrahamScho@AOL.com

________________________________________________________________________________

Name:
brian hall

Comment:
there used to be a templars cross on the wall of the pack horse pub but i dont know if it is still there since it was modernised some years ago

Date:
25-Feb-2013

Email:
brian374hall@btinternet.com

________________________________________________________________________________

Name:
Jacko

Comment:
There's some Templar marks on the building opposite the aforementioned Whitkirk church,Colton Rd/Selby Rd .There is/was some info in the Templar pub in Vicar Lane.

Date:
01-Aug-2015

Email:
Not displayed

________________________________________________________________________________

Buy a copy of this photograph 2003710_8456057

Select the size, finish and quantity of the photograph you require.  If you require sepia toning please tick the appropriate box. Please note the size of the photographs will be as near as possible to that requested, however to avoid distorting the image sizes may not be exact. VAT will be added to the order at checkout.

Quantity: Sepia Toning (+50%)
Size Matt Gloss
10 x 8 inches £11.67 £11.67
12 x 9 inches £14.17 £14.17
16 x 12 inches £15.84 £15.84
Add to basket