Thoresby, Lupton Mayoralty Album, no. 59
6th September 1927.
A photograph taken at the Degree Ceremony at Leeds University in 1927. Many of the people can be identified in the photograph and are as follows. On the back row, beginning from the left is Alderman Sir Charles Henry Wilson. In 1923 he received his Knighthood, became Conservative M.P. for Leeds Central and was made a freeman of the City. He spent a life time working for Leeds and its people. He loved the city and is famous for stating 'I am Leeds!'. Next, bearing the Great Mace of Leeds is Sergeant-at-Mace, Edward T. Jones, then Professor John Kay Jamieson, Dean of the Faculty and Professor of Anatomy of the School of Medicine at Leeds University. Next is Professor Rd. Whiddington, Dean of the Faculty of Science and Cavendish Professor in Physics. Then Doctor W.H. Maxwell Telling, Senior Honorary physician at Leeds General Infirmary and Women and Childrens Hospital and Professor of Medicine and Head of Department of Medicine at Leeds University. Next is Professor R.W. Whytlaw Gray, Professor of Chemistry, then Doctor Rawdon Aug. Veale, physician and Professor of therapeutics, School of Medicine at Leeds University. Beside him is Archibald E. Wheeler, registrar of Leeds University. Third in from the right hand side, on the back row is Professor Perkins and next to him on the right is Student Mace Bearer and President of the Union, Andrews. On the front row starting second from the left is Sir Arthur Keith, President of the British Association, then the Lord Mayor, Alderman Hugh Lupton, next the Pro Chancellor of the University, Charles Harold Tetley, then the Chancellor, his Grace the Duke of Devonshire, beside him, the Vice Chancellor James Black Baillie and then Lord Brotherton, The Pro Chancellor of Pathology and Bacteriology, Chairman of the Refectory Committee (School of Medicine). Lord Brotherton bequeathed his important literary collection to the University in the year of his death, 1930. In 1927, he donated £100,000 to build a new library for the university. It was at the laying of the foundation stone for the library in 1930 that Lord Brotherton announced his intention to bequeath his collection. He died in October of that year. The Brotherton Library was opened in 1936.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.