6th October 1894.
The image shows the 1894 Royal visit to Leeds to inaugurate the Yorkshire College Hall, library and other buildings in connection with the medical school. As in the 1868 visit the Royal party owner the Hon. Mrs Meynell Ingram visible on the right with her favourite dog Valleta sat on her knee. Mrs Meynell Ingram nee Wood, daughter of the first Viscount Halifax. She married Hugo Francis Meynell Ingram and became Chatelaine of Temple Newsam after his premature death in 1871. The gentleman on her immediate right is her nephew Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, he inherited the estate from his childless aunt in 1904. Wood went on to become the Earl of Halifax, Foreign Secretary and Ambassador to Washington, he sold the house and park to the Leeds Corporation in 1922. On the left of Mrs Meynell Ingram is HRH The Duchess of York and her husband HRH The Duke of York behind her on her left. They eventually became King George V and Queen Mary and are the grandparents of HM Queen Elizabeth II. Seated cross legged on the left is Mary's brother Prince Adolphus of Teck, who was at one time stationed at Sheepscar barracks with the 17th Lancers. On May 16th 1895 he visited in a formal capacity St Clement's Church, South of the Barrack Street junction. The church's congregation included Sheepscar Barracks. This image was taken in front of the South Wing Entrance of Temple Newsam House.