leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Red Hall, King Charles Croft,


Subject ID:
200374_71979922
Location:
City Centre
Subject Year:
Copyright:
Leeds Library & Information Services
Class number:
Wormald, Old Leeds Views, part 2, no. 59, SRF 914.2819 WOR & Old Leeds Views, Part 1, Page 33, SRF 914.2819 WOR
Red Hall, King Charles Croft,
Description:
Undated. Image shows Red Hall from the south-west, at the junction with King Charles Street, left, and King Charles Croft, right. A glimpse of Guildford Street, Upperhead Row, (now known as The Headrow) is visible at the left edge. Red Hall is believed to be the first red brick building in Leeds. It was built in 1628 for wool merchant, Alderman Thomas Metcalfe (appointed 1630). The grounds and orchard spread as far as Albion Place. The garden became home to the Tivoli and Theatre Royal in the 1800s. During the English Civil War, on the 9th February 1646 King Charles I was held prisoner and lodged here overnight. He was being conveyed from Newark to Newcastle by his captors, the Scots. It is reputed that John Harrison brought the King a tankard of gold coins to bribe his captors and buy his freedom. The room was known ever after as the 'King's Chamber' and the event is depicted in stained glass in St. John's Church. The building continued as a residence for Richard Thornton and Sir Henry Ibbetson in the 18th Century and Samuel Blakelock in the 19th Century. Later in the nineteenth century Red Hall housed offices including a firm of solicitors, Newstead & Wilson (James Shaw Newstead and Edmund Wilson) Local shop proprietor, Snowden Schofield, keen to expand his drapery business to a department store, bought Red Hall in 1912. He was already amassing retail property in the Victoria Arcade (1903 & 1908) where he began his Leeds business in 1901. The King's Chamber became part of Schofield's 'Old English Cafe'. Red Hall was demolished in 1961 for further development of Schofields department store and eventually became the site of the 'Headrow Shopping Centre' (1990). At time of writing (2013) it is known as 'The Core'. A two wheeled cart or bogie can be seen in the corner of the building, left, and a sign which reads 'Commit no nuisance'. Photograph by Wormald of Leeds.

Corrections:
Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
Buy a copy of this photograph 200374_71979922

Select the size, finish and quantity of the photograph you require.  If you require sepia toning please tick the appropriate box. Please note the size of the photographs will be as near as possible to that requested, however to avoid distorting the image sizes may not be exact. VAT will be added to the order at checkout.

Please note there is no negative available for this image there is a one off fee of £3.40 to pay in addition to the usual print costs.
Quantity: Sepia Toning (+50%)
Size Matt Gloss
10 x 8 inches £6.67 £6.67
12 x 9 inches £9.17 £9.17
16 x 12 inches £10.84 £10.84
Add to basket