Postcard view of the interior of Mount St Mary's Church. The foundation stone for this church was laid in 1853, it was largely to serve the Irish immigrant population, who were in desperate need of aid, having sought refuge from the Famine of 1845-51 in Ireland. By 1857 the Nave and side aisles had been completed by Joseph Hansom and William Wardell E.W. Pugin designed the transcepts and channel. It was in the decorated Gothis Style. It was a church renowned for community involvement and school. It was closed in 1989. Unfortunately it was stripped of artefacts and fittings and is now in need of restoration for any alternative use.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.