Postcard view of St Clement's Church . It was designed by George Corson in the early decorated gothic style with a tower and 140 foot spire. Weetwood and Potternewton stone were used for the contruction. It was consecrated in 1868, the parish was created in 1869. It had cost £10,000 to build. The congregation included many soldiers from the nearby Barracks. An inscription on the Parish room stated 'This stone was laid by HSH Prince Adolphus of Teck May 16th 1895'. He was brother to Queen Mary, grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II and stationed at the Barracks with the 17th Lancers. When redevelopment began in the area the church was closed in 1974 it became a listed building the following year. It was how ever to be demolished in 1976, the site became part of the Sheepscar interchange.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.