View of the Church of St. Mary at Whitkirk. A church was recorded in this vicinity in the Domesday Survey of 1086 and it is likely that the site has remained unchanged. The present building was erected in 1448-9, but underwent a substantial restoration in 1856. During the Middle Ages, the Knights Templars and Knights Hospitallers were patrons of the advowson of the vicarage. This right passed to the Master, Fellows and Scholars of Trinity College, Cambridge, and eventually, in 1898 to the Meynell Trustees. This view is from the north side of the church and shows the western tower with a leaded and slated medieval spire.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.