A view of Colton Primary School in School Lane. This newly built school replaced the unsuitable buildings of the old Temple Newsam-Colton Primary School which opened as a Board School in 1876. The old school building still stands at the end of School Lane. The new buildings are on one storey and built of brick. There is a playing field and hard play area and the perimeter of the school has adequate well-lit parking areas, safety railings and landscaped grounds.