A view of the north side of the Church of St. Mary, Whitkirk, showing the graveyard and Selby Road in the foreground. The name 'Whitkirk' or'Whitechurch' is first recorded in the 12th Century in a charter of Henry de Lacey, founder of Kirkstall Abbey, confirming the land of Newsam, Colton and the 'Witechurche' to the Knights Templars. Although there is evidence that a church existed here as far back as 1086, as recorded in the Domesday Survey, the present building dates from 1448-9. It has been altered and renovated several times over the centuries.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.