The building seen here replaces the original Brown Cow public house which was the location for manorial court sessions at one time for Whitkirk and Temple Newsam. These dealt with aspects of land administration and issues concerning tenants. The present building, pictured, was designed by Sydney Kitson, Architects, and opened on October 10th 1941. It is sited on land once occupied by outbuildings of the original pub. The Brown Cow has recentley been closed for major refurbishment and re-opened on 27th May 2002. It has a restaurant and services the new Travel Inn built in 2002, since this photograph was taken, on the old ASDA site at the rear.