9th September 1959
Queen Square was initially developed by John and George Biscoff, the brothers had lived at nearby Claypit House since 1787 and owned the adjacent land. The square was planned as three terraces round a central garden, with the fourth side left open to Claypit Lane. Numbers 1/2 Queen Square is on the left. This was one of the earliest houses to be built in the square, between 1806-22. It was constructed of red brick with stone details, three storeys and a basement with warehose facilities. In 1822 the residents of the square purchased the central area of land to provide a permanent garden. In this view it was the headquarters of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows (Friendly Society). The square is on the margin of the route of the Woodhouse West gate section of the Inner Ring Road, the majority of the streets around were demolished to provide the site for the road. The square was refurbished and is now used by Leeds Metropolitan University. Of the few squares which were built in georgian Leeds, this with Park Square has survived in virtually its original state.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.