Suspension bridge, part of South Accommodation Road. On the left is Hunslet Woollen Mill, to the right John Eaton Street, Cross Green. The view is looking down the River Aire towards the City Centre. A new turnpike road was needed to take increasing traffic from Hunslet to the north and east. This route across the river joined with the York and Selby Roads. The bridge was designed by George Leather and built in 1828, it cost £4,200. By 1898, it was inadequate for the volume of heavy traffic and was replaced by a lattice girder bridge. This was the work of Thomas Hewson, the City Engineer, it opened in 1899. It has a clear span of 146 feet and is 50 feet wide. The bridge has now been removed as a new bypass road crosses the river at this point.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.