This shop, situated at the junction of York road and Selby Road was the original Toll House for the Leeds-Selby Turnpike Trust. This was formed in 1740/41, it was part of a plan to open up a trade route to Europe. Goods taken by road to Selby could then go on by boat to Hull and the Continent. Tolls from road users were collected at the toll house, it also served as a weigh house for wood and coal. In 1874 the tolls were lifted and the building was converted into a shop. It was demolished in 1929. York Road is on the left, Selby Road to the right.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.