This atmospheric image shows High Royds Hospital in its early years in the background. It opened on 8th October 1888 with the grim name of West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum. The hospital underwent many positive changes over the years and in the 1930s patients had the opportunity to develop new skills with the addition of such trades as a cobblers, upholsterers and a dairy. There was also a library and a ballroom. The Victorian buildings were impractical and archaic, however, and a new Mental Health provision was built. The final phase was the opening of the Mount by Health Secretary, Alan Milburn on 4th April 2003. At 10 million pounds, it was the culmination of a £47 million scheme comprising 7 new units with state of the art facilities. High Royds Hospital finally closed its doors in February 2003.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.