12th October 1938
View of The Village ( the main street) Showing the village pump located adjacent to a B.T. telephone box opposite the entrance to Pear Tree Acre. This pump, set into a recess in the wall, was once the main source of water for Thorp Arch. It was eventually condemned as a drinking water supply and after 1945 it was made available for fire fighting until it was finally removed in the 1960s.