14th May 1937
Image shows a memorial slab within a niche in the north wall of the sanctuary in All Saints Church. A cross fleury is carved on the surface and an inscription on the bevelled edge reads 'Hic Jacet/Johes filius Johis de Belewe' meaning 'herelies John son of John de Belewe'. This appears to be a memorial to a child, the son of John de Belewe and Laderana de Brus. John de Belewe acquired the Manor of Thorp Arch through his marriage. He was also a mill owner and had a salmon fishery, a 'heck' on the River Wharfe. He died in 1300 leaving everything to his two daughters. It is thought that this small memorial was discovered in one of the walls of the church in 1756. It probably dates from around 1290.