This is the original Pax Inn, a long, low building with thatched roof situated on the main street. It was first mentioned in a commercial directory for 1838 as 'The Goats Head'. By 1861 the name had changed to the Hatfeild Arms after the Hadfeild family of Thorp Arch. The name changed again to 'Pax' by 1871 which was the motto of William Gossip (1704-1772). Lord of the Manor, and means 'peace'. In 1883 the old inn had been dilapidated, it was demolished and a new Pax was built a short distance further north on The Village.