A landmark in north Leeds, this clock was originally designed for Leeds Kirkgate Market which opened on 1st July 1904. The clock was designed by John and Joseph Leeming of London and built by Potts and Son of Leeds. It cost £150. After the market had opened it was necessary to resite the stalls to provide an entrance from Vicar Lane. The clock was removed and in 1912 was placed close to the entrance to Roundhay Park near the entry lodge. This building was demolished in 1937, leaving the clock. It was restored in 1977.