Image shows a Spitfire funded by the Leeds Spitfire fund with members of the 609 West Riding Squadron. When the fund was launched in 1940 nearly £30,000 was raised. The 609 was originally composed of volunteers and was based at Leeds Bradford Airport. They flew Spitfires and won distinction during the Battle of Britain, being the 1st Spitfire Squadron to shoot down 100 enemy aircraft. After the war they were disbanded but reformed in 1946 to fly Mosquitos until 1957 when they were completely disbanded. The Spitfire shown has the words "City of Leeds" on it but it is believed it is not the aircraft bearing that name, as this was lost in action before the photo was taken. The name was chalked on for the photo but the aircraft depicted is actually believed to be P8098 "Enfield".
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.