Bramham College opened in January 1843. The Principal was Doctor Benjamin Bentley Haigh and he was assisted by his two sons, Edward and Stanhope. The College catered for the educational needs of the sons of respectable families and was much extended to provide excellent facilities. Doctor Bentley first leased Bramham Biggin, formerly a private residence, plus 130 acres of parkland. The college fell into a decline after the death of Doctor Haigh and some of the pupils in a cholera outbreak in 1869. This building eventually became derelict until it was demolished in 1903 to provide stone for the rebuilding of Bramham Park. The original Bramham Biggin still stands and has reverted to a private residence once more.