A view through the gates of Bramham Park showing the mansion as it was prior to restoration. The iron gates are flanked by huge plinths topped with half-lion, half-female reclining figures. Next to these, heraldic bears are mounted on groups of columns. Bramham Park was built between 1700 and 1710 by Robert Benson,the first Lord Bingley. His father had been granted the land in recognition of his services to William and Mary. It was passed down to George Lane Fox, nicknamed the 'Gambler'-a member of the Prince Regent's circle. In July 1828, in the familys absence, the house was gutted in a fire. Gambling debts forced it to remain uninhabitable for 80 years until it was inherited by George Richard Lane Fox in 1906 and he set about the restoration, stone from the demolished Bramham College was use in the rebuilding.