The frontage of the Biggin, a substantial house which was built on the site of the medieval Nostell Priory monks' cell. It has been the residence of several well known families: D'Arcy, Gascoigne, Fairfax and Goodricks. It was also to become the home of Charles Allanson, M.P. for Ripon. In 1842/3 the Biggin was leased to Dr. Benjamin Bentley Haigh and became Bramham College, a prestigious school for boys. It was much extended to include a large hall, a theatre, gymnasiuim and cloisters. The huge Grecian style refectory culminated in a glass dome. The life of the college was shortlived, however, when in 1869 cholera struck and Dr. Haigh and several pupils died. All the additional buildings were demolised leaving the Biggin in its original state where it reverted to a private residence. The stone was used in the rebuilding of Bramham Park in 1907. Bramham Biggin is on the opposite side of the A1 to Bramham village.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.