5th May 1928
Image shows two memorial windows located in the chapel of St.Johns Catholic School for the Deaf, formerly St.John's Institute.On the left is the founder of the school,Belgian priest Monsignor de Haerne,Director of the Royal Institution for the Deaf at Brussels.He established the first school for the deaf in England in 1870.It originated in Sheffield but moved to Boston Spa in 1875.
On the right is Matthew E Hadfield who was the Secretary to the school in its early years.His son,Charles Hadfield,designed the barrel-vaulted chapel in the late Tudor early Elizabethan style.The Chapel at St.Johns school opened on 30th October,1889
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.