View of the Assembly Rooms at the junction with Crown Street(foreground) and Assembly Street, right. Opened in 1777, they were a venue for evening entertainment and balls. By the 1860s the building became a Working Men's Institute. The business seen here of L. Hirst & Son, Tobacco Merchants & Wholesale Tobacconists, occupied the building from 1923 and renamed it Waterloo House. Now the old Assembly Rooms have been restored and include the Cafe Rouge and the Pitcher and Piano Bar.