View of Allerton Hall between Wensley Drive and Stainbeck Lane, the home of the Kitchingman family for over 300 years. In 1755 it was purchased by Josiah Oates, a merchant and an ancestor of Captain Laurence Edward Oates who perished in a blizzard at the age of 32 on the Scott Antartic expedition in 1912. A brass plaque commemmorates him in Leeds Parish Church. Much of Allerton Hall, then a 60 room mansion, was demolished when it transferred to the ownership of William Jackson M.P., who became the first Lord Allerton in 1902. Now, the oldest remaining part of the Hall is the east wing which dates from the 18th Century. This photograph is undated but it must have been taken at an earlier period than an alternative image which may be viewed on the Leodis website. This is because the construction of the east wing, right, has a flat roof with a parapet. Later, as shown in the other image, a pitched roof was constructed on the east wing. The tower in the centre is a later addition than the east wing. The window in the right return of the tower was made smaller when the new roof was constructed. The extensions to the left of the tower were still later additions. Allerton Hall is a Grade II listed building and flats by the name of Wensleydale Court have been built in the grounds.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.