Taken between 1955 and 1962 this aerial view of the City Centre shows Park Row running vertically along the left of the image. In the top left corner of the photo, at the top of Park Row is Cookridge Street with the Civic Theatre (1868) visible on the right and the Leeds Permanent Building, later The Light, below. In front of this is The Headrow and shops and offices flanked by Upper Basinghall Street on the left and and Albion Street on the right. Where these two streets meet Boar Lane at the bottom of the image is now the site of the Leeds Shopping Plaza, previously the Bond Street shopping centre built in the 1970s. Below this is the Mill Hill area. At the top of the image on the right is Allder's, originally built as Lewis's in 1932. In front of this is the site eventually used for The Headrow shopping centre (1988) with Lands Lane on the far right. At the bottom of Lands Lane is the Holy Trinity Church (1722-6) and the area used to create the Trinity and Burton Arcade (1967).
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.