leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Abbey House, view of house and grounds

Subject ID:
Subject Year:
Abbey House
Leeds Library & Information Services
Class number:
Wormald, Old Leeds Views, part 3, no.14, SRF 914.2819 WOR
Abbey House, view of house and grounds
Undated. View of Abbey House and grounds. This had been the Abbey gatehouse and was built in 1152-82. It was altered by the last abbot, John Ripley, as a home where he lived until 1568. The Savile family owned it from 1584 and it served as a farmhouse, for 300 years to 1899, the Butler family leased it from the Earls of Cardigan and converted it to a gentleman's residence. In 1841 it was altered and restored and became home to George Beecroft MP of Kirkstall Forge. More extensions were added 1869/70 by John Butler of Kirkstall Forge. In 1889 it was bought by Colonel Thomas Walter Harding of Tower Works who owned it until 1912. Leeds City Council bought it in 1925 and it opened as Abbey House Folk Museum on July 11th 1927. The photograph has a wheelbarrow and spade in the foreground and three piles of turf round the edge of the garden. Photograph by Wormald of Leeds.

Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
Buy a copy of this photograph 2004223_78586978

Select the size, finish and quantity of the photograph you require.  If you require sepia toning please tick the appropriate box. Please note the size of the photographs will be as near as possible to that requested, however to avoid distorting the image sizes may not be exact. VAT will be added to the order at checkout.

Please note there is no negative available for this image there is a one off fee of £3.40 to pay in addition to the usual print costs.
Quantity: Sepia Toning (+50%)
Size Matt Gloss
10 x 8 inches £6.67 £6.67
12 x 9 inches £9.17 £9.17
16 x 12 inches £10.84 £10.84
Add to basket