View down Cross Arcade showing, elaborate roof and street lights, with Marks & Spencer on either side. Michael Marks began trading in Kirkgate market in 1884, going on to take brick-built shops in Block 15 of the market in 1896. This photograph shows the first shop occupied by the 'Original Penny Bazaar' out-side the market, where it operated from 1904. In 1909 a new shop opened at 76 Briggate which was extended to Queen's Arcade in 1926. The present store was built in 1939-40, but was requisitioned by the Ministry of Works during the war years. It was opened in 1951. This image is part of the McKenna Collection.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.