Image shows a reconstructed Victorian street in the Abbey House Museum named for St. Stephen Harding, Abbot of St. Citeaux, who along with St. Bernard founded the Cistecian Order to which Kirkstall Abbey belonged. The buildings visible in the image are of local grit stone with interiors characteristic of the 1880s. On the left is Illingworth & Kilburn grocers, where canisters for 1875 tea and treacle are on display. On the far left of this is an entrance with a large kettle displayed above to show the location of the John Wright ironmonger's shop. The timber framed entry on the right allows access to both the grocers on the left and the tobacconists run by George Haddock on the right. The original George Haddock had a shop on Boar Lane in the 1880s. The goods on display here are typical of the Victorian period with elaborately carved and ornamental pipes, tobacco boxes, snuff boxes, cheroot and cigar holders. This entrance also gives acces to the Tin Tack Maker, Peter Garside. Here is a small workplace relocated in its entirity from Ashton-Under-Lyne where it was the last of its kind in the country.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.