A view of Oxley Hall, a residential hall for women students of Leeds University, formerly Elm House. It was gifted to the University by Leeds Banker James W. Oxley in 1920 and included nearly 8 acres of land. When it opened in October 1921 it raised the total number of Halls of Residence for women to 5, between them providing accommodation for 186 students. A new wing was added in 1928 after a brief closure and the hall re-opened with 65 students in residence. By the 1950s the number had risen to 138.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.