View of Devonshire Hall, the first purpose built Hall of Residence for the students of Leeds University. The lease had expired on the previous Devonshire Hall, the old Wesleyan College. A site was found in Cumberland Road which included the Regent Court Residential Hotel and grounds for £20,000 in 1927. Local architects, J.C. Procter and F.L. Charlton designed the new hall in the grounds and it had features in common with a Tudor monastic building. 140 students and a warden transferred here in 1930. Nowadays, Devonshire Hall accommodates around 320 students in single and shared rooms and cluster flats.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.