View of Seacroft Hall from the south, across the lake. The top-hatted gentleman in the foreground is thought to be John Wilson, Esq, but it is uncertain who the lady is. She may be his wife, Anna Maria Isabella, nee McLeod, or possibly his daughter, Constance, who married Rev. Charles John Aylmer Eade. John Wilson was born in 1808 and died at Seacroft Hall on 29th January 1891. He was educated at Rugby School and Trinity College, Cambridge and went on to become a JP for the West Riding of Yorkshire and a Captain in the 2nd West Yorkshire Militia. The Seacroft estate was bought by John Wilson Snr, of Camp Hall, Water Lane (1731-1821). He was in the linen trade. The last owner of the Hall was Darcy Bruce Wilson M.A., Barrister at Law, JP, Captain Yorkshire Hussars, who died, unmarried, at Seacroft Hall on 5th January 1931. The estate was subsequently sold to Leeds Corporation and the Hall was demolished in 1953-4. The lake in view was a large ornamental pond. This was filled in and the land later used as Parklands High School's sports fields. The school opened in 1958. The spire belongs to the Church of St. James on Seacroft Village Green. It was built to designs by Benjamin Russell of Leeds in 1845 and is now a listed building.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.