Engraving of the Leeds Mechanics Institute on Cookridge Street. This was designed by Cuthbert Brodrick and the foundation stone was laid on August 31st 1865 by John Darnton Luccock. It cost £20,000 to build and opened on June 18th 1868. The main auditorium, named the Albert Hall, was converted to the Leeds Civic Theatre after the Second World War.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.