View shows a row of shops on Vicar Lane. On an 1831 plan of Leeds this is the Leadenhall Wholesale Carcass Market. Leadenhall Street originally ran along the line of what is now King Edward Street (seen on the left edge of this view). Numbers run from 53 to 63, left to right. Numbers 53 to 57 are the premises of John Collier, tailor. Number 59, in the centre, had been the Dolphin Inn which opened in the mid 1800s, closing in the late 1950s. Halfords cycle and motor stores follows to the right at number 61, with Peter Eastwood, menswear, visible at number 63. The site of the Dolphin Inn became part of the Empire Arcade in 1964.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.