In this view are two odd numbered, three storey properties on St. Luke's Street. On the left is number 1, followed to the right by number 5. (In a Directory of Leeds for 1932 number 1 was the business of Harold Smithies, Hairdresser, and number 5 was occupied by Samuel Benjamin, Cap Presser.) A passageway between the houses leads through to a yard area. Number 3 St. Luke's Street, situated at the rear of number 1, opens into this yard. Numbers 2, 4 and 6 Stamford Street also back on to it. On an OS map dated 1953 numbers 7 and 9 St. Luke's Street had already been demolished. In the foreground there is only building rubble where numbers 3 and 5 Brown's Yard once stood. The derelict building in the foreground, left, is part of number 1 Brown's Yard, also addressed as 130 North Street. In the directory for 1932 number 130 was occupied by Mrs Fay Bloomfield, Baker. St. Luke's Street ran between North Street and Regent Street (near the junction of Regent Street with Sheepscar Street South and Cross Stamford Street). Hand-written on the original photograph is '1,3 Stamford Street' and there is an arrow pointing to a gap between the buildings. Stamford Street was located to the rear of St. Luke's Street in this view, and the photograph was taken by the City Engineer's Department to record the area prior to demolition.