This c.1936 view of the Brotherton Library at the University of Leeds is no longer possible, and was probably taken shortly after completion in 1936.
By 1938 work had begun on the Parkinson Building where the area of grass lies in front of it. The entrance of the Brotherton Library was modified to allow for a junction with the Parkinson Building which became the entrance. The Brotherton Library was funded by the gift of £100,000 by Lord Brotherton of Roundhay Hall. It was also to house his private library of books and manuscripts which he bequeathed to the University.
The Brotherton Collection, as it is known, was formally presented by the Trustees on 31st October 1935.
It was transferred to the new library building from Roundhay Hall in the summer of 1936 in time for the opening on 6th October 1936.
The Archbishop of Canterbury performed the opening ceremony in the presence of the Princess Royal and the Duchess of Devonshire.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.