Image shows Rockland, built during the 1870s in St. Mary's Road on the Newton Park Estate, which included both Potternewton Hall and Newton Hall. The estate had been owned by the Lupton family since the early 19th century. Rockland, an Arts and Crafts stone built house, was the residence of Francis Martineau Lupton Esq. Francis Martineau had been born on the Newton Park Estate at Potternewton Hall on 21st July 1848 and spent his boyhood there. The Luptons were an old Leeds Family with a strong sense of citizenship. A local politician, Francis' career included the chair of an improvement committee on the City Council, responsible for clearing the insanitary areas of York Street and Quarry Hill. He was an Alderman of Leeds between 1895 and 1916. Francis Martineau married Harriet Albina Davis (1850-1892) and they had two daughters and three sons. Their sons, Francis Ashford Lupton (1886-1917), Captain Maurice Lupton (1887-1915) and Lieutenant Lionel Martineau Lupton (1892-1916) were all killed in the First World War. In 1917 Francis Martineau Lupton gave up Rockland, letting it for the nominal annual rent of £1 for use as a home for the children of soldiers and sailors in memory of his sons. Later, he moved to Fieldhead, Park Avenue, Roundhay; he is listed in the Leeds Directories as residing at this address between 1917 and 1920. Also listed at Fieldhead in the 1920 Directory is solicitor Richard Noel Middleton. In 1914, Noel had married Olive Christiana Lupton (1881-1936) who was born and had grown up at Rockland on the Newton Park Estate. She later boarded at Roedean until 1900. Olive was one of two daughters of Francis Martineau; the other was Anne. Both daughters had inherited the family wool manufacturing business, William Lupton and Sons Ltd., upon their father's death. Olive's husband, Noel (d.1951), would become a managing director of the business which was sold to Hainsworth in 1958.
Olive and Noel Middleton were the great grandparents of the present Duchess of Cambridge who, prior to her marriage to H.R.H. Prince William (1st Duke of Cambridge) was known as Catherine Elizabeth Middleton. Francis Martineau Lupton is known to have died from kidney failure at Low Gables, Allerton Park, on 5th February 1921. The house at Allerton Park called Low Gables was later occupied by James Harry Braime of the Hunslet engineering firm (1922 Directory). Rockland survives and is now surrounded by heavy-density housing.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.