Image shows Rockland, built during the 1880s in St. Mary's Road on the Newton Park Estate. The stone built house was the residence of Francis Martineau Lupton Esq. Born in Potternewton on 21st July 1848, Francis Martineau Lupton came from an old and respected Leeds Family with a strong sense of citizenship. His career included the chair of an improvement committee on the City Council, responsible for clearing the insanitary areas of York Street and Quarry Hill. He was an Alderman of Leeds between 1895 and 1916. Francis Martineau Lupton married Harriet Albina Davis (1850-1892)and they had two daughters and three sons. Their sons, Francis Ashford Lupton (1886-1917), Captain Maurice Lupton (1887-1915) and Lieutenant Lionel Martineau Lupton (1892-1916) were all killed in the First World War. In 1917 Francis Martineau Lupton gave up Rockland, letting it for the nominal annual rent of £1 for use as a home for the children of soldiers and sailors in memory of his sons. Later, he moved to Fieldhead, Park Avenue, Roundhay (he is listed in the Leeds Directories as residing at this address between 1917 and 1920). Also listed at Fieldhead in the 1920 Directory is Richard Noel Middleton. He had married Olive Christiana Lupton (1881-1936) in 1914, one of the daughters of F. M. Lupton. Francis Martineau Lupton is known to have died from kidney failure at Low Gables, Allerton Park, on 5th February 1921. He was succeeded by his two daughters. Francis Martineau Lupton was the Great Great Grandfather of the present Duchess of Cambridge who, prior to her marriage to H.R.H. Prince William (1st Duke of Cambridge) was known as Catherine Elizabeth Middleton. Richard Noel Middleton and Olive nee Lupton were her Great Grandparents. The house at Allerton Park called Low Gables was later occupied by James Harry Braime of the Hunslet engineering firm (1922 Directory).