This June 1965 image shows the neo-classical mansion from the side. Built c.1817 for James Brown, Woollen Merchant, it was originally Harehills Grove. In 1861 it was bought by the Jowitt family and the 750 acre estate was sold to build back-to-back terraced houses while the 30 acre park at the front of the mansion was kept. In 1900 the house and park were bought by the Leeds Corporation and Potternewton Park was created. In 1906 the house officially opened with a fine stuffed bird collection and cafe. In 1929 the house reopened as the Leeds School for Crippled & Delicate Children, becoming Potternewton Mansion School after World War II, with places for 100 children. In the 1960s the Mansion was opened as an annex to Park Lane College. The Mansion and park gained historical status on 1st October 1999 when the Leeds North East MP Fabian Hamiltion unveiled a Leeds Civic Trust Blue Plaque.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.