Image shows a five bayed early Georgian Mansion built in the early 1700s by the Barker family. This was originally the site of Mauleverer's old seat. The hall had been the residence of Leeds Mayor Darnton Lupton since the 1830s and by 1860 the it was owned by his brother, Francis Lupton. Francis soon settled his family at his farming estate, Beechwood, and eventually leased Potternewton Hall to the Nussey family. As with the Luptons, a member of the Nussey family had been Mayor of Leeds; Obadiah Nussey in 1863. The Nusseys were, again, like the Luptons, wealthy woollen merchants and manufacturers: Richard Nussey owned two mills in Meadows Lane, Leeds. Both the Nusseys and Luptons were members of the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society. When living at Potternewton Hall, Samuel L. Nussey regularly entertained both his friends and extended family. His cousin was Ellen Nussey of Birstall, near Leeds. Ellen was the life-long friend of novelist Charlotte Bronte. The Nussey family remained in residence at Potternewton Hall until the 1930s. The hall and its gardens were demolished in 1935 to make way for the private housing development, Riviera Gardens, which were flat-roofed, white-rendered houses in "modernistic" style. Immediately to the west of Potternewton Hall there was another substantial house called Newton Lodge which was demolished to make way for Newton Lodge Drive. In October 1935 G.F. Greenwood a York Antique Dealers offered for sale an 'old pannelled room from the Georgian Mansion Potternewton Hall c.1720'. The room was bought and reassembled at Sutton Park , near York, as the Morning Room.