This 1965 image shows the front of the neo-classical mansion, originally Harehills Grove. The house was built around 1817 for the woollen merchant James Brown. When built the house stood on a 750 acre estate with a 30 acre park at the front of the house. Between 1861 & 1900 the property belonged to the Jowitt family who kept the park and sold off the estate in smaller plots for the building of back-to-back terraced houses.
In 1900 the mansion and car park were bought by the Leeds Corporation creating Potternewton Park. In 1906 the mansion opened as a Museum and Picture Gallery, offering for view, a collection of stuffed birds and a cafe. In 1929 the mansion became home to the Leeds School for Cripples & Delicate Children, becoming Potternewton Mansion School after World War II, with places for 100 children. In the 1960s the school became an annex of Park Lane College.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.