2nd October 1935
View of the entrance to a Georgian detached house which stood to the west of the Roman Catholic Church of St Edward at the junction of Church Lane with the High Street. The double partially glazed doors have a fanlight of typical Georgian design above. They are surrounded by a door case comprising of two columns. Sadly, the house was about to be demolished. Catholicism within the village steadily increased on the arrival in the 1830s of the Grimston family, in particular Mrs Ralph Grimston. She arranged for the first Catholic Masses to be celebrated within this house by Dr Tate, the Hazelwood Chapllain. The house was demolished when renovations were made to St Edward's Church and Church Lane was widened in 1935/36.