27th September 1935
The entrance to a house which stood to the west of St Edward's Church and was demolished in 1935/36. It comprises of a Georgian doorcase with columns flanking partially glazed double doors and an arched fanlight. Before Clifford had its own Catholic Church, opened in 1848, Catholic mass was celebrated in this house. This was organised by Mrs Ralph Grimston of the famous Yorkshire Grimston family who settled in the village in the 1830s.
They were descendants of a Ralph Grimston who was martyred for his Catholic faith when he was executed at York in 1598. The house was demolished when Chapel Lane was widened and a new perimeter wall was built around the Churchyard.