7th October 1935
This is one of a series of photographs taken in 1935/36 to document alterations and renovations to the Roman Catholic Church of St Edward and the Churchyard. The house in the background stood to the west of the Church and was shortly to be demolished. It has an interesting history as, prior to the Church being built, it was where the Catholic population of Clifford celebrated their first masses.
The Grimston family had arrived in Clifford in the 1830s and it was Mrs Ralph Grimston who arranged for Masses to be celebrated here and instruction in the Catholic faith to take place. The Grimston family gave substantial amounts of funding for the building of the new Church which opened on 24th May 1848. The Georgian house was demolished when Chapel Lane at the junction with the High Street was widened and a new perimeter wall was built around the Churchyard.