5th February 1912
A bitterly cold February day has encouraged skaters to venture out into the frozen Clifford Dam. At the time of the photograph the mill itself may have been disused. Over the years it had been a flax mill run by the Grimston brothers, then the water wheel powered saw machinery for supplying fencing for farms and wood for repairing houses on the Lane-Fox estate. Prior to this period Clifford mill was used to manufacture glue and jelly although this was short-lived.