29th July 1935
View of the rear of the Roman Catholic Church of St Edward which stands at the junction of Chapel Lane with High Street. Below the cross the rose window is visible flanked by two smaller windows dedicated to St Edward and St Joseph. Scaffolding is in place on the tower during some alterations and renovations. The tower was not completed until 1866 due to shortage of funds and was paid for by Ralph Grimston, and designed by architect George Goldic. It deviates from the from the original intended design and is Romanesque in style with a high sloping roof.