20th April 1936
This view of St Edward's Church was taken towards the end of the scheme, begun in 1935, to renovate the Church and Churchyard.
Workmen are constructing an island in the middle of the newly widened Chapel Lane close to the junction with the High Street. A Georgian house had previously occupied the site. This was where Mrs Ralph Grimston, of the Grimston family of flax spinners and farmers, had established the first celebrations of Catholic Mass within the village, in the late 1830s and early 1840s, prior to the Church being built. The Grimston family financially supported the building of St Edward's and it opened on 24th May 1848.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.