30th October 1935
This is the shop front of J.M.Gibbons, draper, who also ran Clifford Post Office. Mr Gibbons took over the shop in 1925 when he moved to Clifford with his family and began to sell grocery provisions, greengrocery and hardware.
The shop first opened in 1870 when it sold fabric and sewing notions for home dressmaking and soft furnishing. The shop window fronting the High Street is advertising Ovaltine. An impressive central display includes the wholesome ingredients of the popular Ovaltine advertising campaign, sheaves of barley and a basket of fresh eggs. Also in the window are Scott's Porrage oats and adverts for Heinz Baked Beans.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.