21st October 1935
The image is taken from the base of the masssive tower of St Edward's Roman Catholic Church situated at the junction of Chapel Lane and the High Street. On the wall above the door between the huge arches is a memorial plaque dedicated to Ralph Grimston who funded the completion of the tower in 1866. He died in 1876.
The Grimston's were a well known Yorkshire Catholic family who had settled in Clifford in the 1830s. They were flax farmers and spinners and did much to promoted Catholic life in the village. Many of their workers emigrated from Dublin.
The increase in the Catholic population led to the Grimston family, working tirelessly and donating substantial sums of money towards the building of St Edward's which opened in 1848.