This is an example of some of the fine, intricate carving which can be seen in St Edward's Church. It is one of the pillars which is positioned at the entrance to the sanctuary. At the top the traditional emblems of the four evangelists have been carved , the winged man representing St Matthew, the lion for St Mark, the ox, St Luke and the eagle, St John. The pillar itself is carved with a spiral design similar to the ones in Durham Cathedral. The Catholic Church, in Romanesque style, was built between 1845-8 by J.A. Hansom. The tower was a later addition in 1859-66 by Goldie. Money to build the church came initially from a local flaxmill owner called Grimston with donations from the Clifford and Vavasour families. This is a view of the interior which is seen here reproduced as a postcard.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.